Call to Worship Revelation 15:4
Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship you, for your righteous acts have been revealed.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn and Song Suggestions
Good and Gracious King (scroll down for lyrics and sheet music)
Confession and Assurance I Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
Scripture Passage James 1:9-11
9 Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation. 10 and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away.
11 For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.
Questions for discussion and reflection
- What are your views on rich and poor people?
- How have you seen our society overvalue the wealthy and powerful?
- How have you seen our society undervalue the poor?
- How can you value fellow Christians based on their status in Christ, rather than on their wealth and position of power (or lack therof)?
- Is Peace Church a place where rich and poor can coexist? Does our status in Christ matter to others in our church?
- Does this passage help you think about how you view others? How so?
- Read Luke 16:19-25 and 2 Corinthians 8:9. How do these passages help further orient us toward our status with God?
Christ is Mine Forevermore (scroll down for lyrics and sheet music)
Benediction Phil. 4:23
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
Back to worship at home